I bought a cookbook maybe 10 years ago in the discount section of the bookstore. It was only $5 and pretty big so I thought even if it wasn’t that great it was a good deal. Even then I couldn’t pass up a good deal on a cookbook! ha ha Skimming the recipes I found this gem. A delicious twist on one of my classic favorites. This recipe beautifully uses contrasting textures of the soft rice and bite of the coconut, with undertones of orange and cinnamon. Topped with toasted coconut and filled with golden raisins, this is one bowl of rice pudding that is anything but traditional. Enjoy this recipe!
Coconut Orange Rice Pudding
3 cups Water
1 1/2 cups uncooked Rice
Whole Peel of 1 Orange (pith removed)
2 Cinnamon Sticks
Pinch of Salt
1/4 cup Golden Raisins
3/4 cup Shredded Sweetened Coconut
5 cups Milk
1 cup Cocnut Milk – look in the Asian food Section of your grocery, that’s where I found mine after searching for a bit
1 1/4 cups Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1. In a Large pot combine water, orange peel, cinnamon sticks and salt, Bring to a boil. Add Rice, stir, reduce heat to low, cover the pot and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed (about 20 min)
2. When Rice is ready, add milk, coconut milk, sugar, raisins and 1/2 cup of shredded coconut. Increase heat to Medium-Low and cook stirring every so often to prevent sticking. If liquid boils reduce heat to low. Cook about 50 minutes or until thick.
3. When pudding is done, remove from heat and discard orange peel and cinnamon sticks. Stir in the vanilla. Let cool.
4. While it’s cooling toast remaining coconut in oven at a temp of 350, takes about fives minutes, watch carefully!
5. Serve slighly chilled or at room temp, garnish with Toasted Coconut.